Man hides for 18 hours inside Lethbridge woman’s home: police

19 Likes comments off

Lethbridge authorities say charges have been brought against an Ottawa man after a suspected assault on a 75-year-old woman that left her with head and face injuries.

Police and paramedics were called to a house in the 3000 block of Fairway Street S. for reports of a fight between an elderly woman and a man at approximately 7 p.m. on May 22.

Upon arrival, emergency teams discovered a woman who had been brutally beaten inside a garage. She was taken to the hospital to receive treatment for several broken bones in the nose and unspecified head injuries.

In its investigation, the police discovered that a man burst into the woman’s house in the early hours of the morning of May 21 and stayed overnight in a room on the ground floor while the woman slept upstairs.

Police say the man spent 18 hours inside the house while the victim was following his routine, unaware of his presence.

Shortly before the attack on May 22, the woman heard a noise, went to investigate and discovered the suspect, who was wearing a mask.

Authorities say the man hit her in the face several times, knocked her down and dragged her to the garage, where she continued to hit the victim, this time with a bicycle.

The male fled from the scene in the victim’s vehicle.

Later that night, a police officer investigating an unrelated matter spotted a vehicle driving with the lights off. The plaque also matched the stolen vehicle, so the officer stopped the driver.

The driver and the lone occupant were arrested and the stolen vehicle was recovered.

The police also seized property belonging to the suspect who had remained in the victim’s house.

Adam Hall Hobkirk-Onate, 21, with no permanent address in Ottawa, has been charged with assault that has caused bodily harm, robberies in the home and intentionally committing robberies and disguises.

He is expected to appear in court on May 27. Authorities say he is an unknown victim and has no links with Lethbridge.

The victim was discharged from the hospital and is now being looked after by family members.

Police are expected to have more details about the arrest on Friday afternoon.

You might like

About the Author: Editor