Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding from U.K. Home Office

11 Likes comments off
Missing British girl Madeleine McCann is seen in this undated photo. (London Metropolitan Police)

The British authorities announced on Wednesday that they will continue funding the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in March 2020.

The announcement said that while the full financing decision will not be published until October, that funding for Operation Grange would be at a “similar level” to last year’s, which was £ 300,000 (approximately $ 510,245 CAD).

The Ministry of the Interior (part of the US government that is responsible for immigration, security, law and order) said that the cost of Operation Grange to date is £ 11.75 million ($ 19,989,190).
The 3-year-old girl disappeared while on vacation with her parents at Portugal’s Praia de Luz in 2007, sparking an international search and several police investigations, all under intense public and media scrutiny.

A brief chronology of Madeleine McCann’s research:

May 3, 2007: It is discovered that Madeleine McCann is missing from the family’s accommodation at the Ocean Club complex in Portugal’s Praia da Luz.

May 4, 2007 – Portuguese police begin their investigation.

September 2007: After Portuguese police question him, Kate and Gerry McCann become “argued” or official suspects of the disappearance of his daughter.

October 2007: Portuguese detective Goncalo Amaral, who is in charge of the investigation, is removed from the case after criticizing the British police.

July 2008: Portuguese police shelved their investigation and lifted the “arguido” status of the McCanns and former local kicker Robert Murat.

March 2009: The McCanns launched a new appeal to obtain information about the area where Madeleine disappeared.

November 2010: The McCanns press for U.K. and Portugal conduct a review of all the evidence in the investigation.

May 2011 – Then-U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron asks the London Metropolitan Police to help in the investigation.

March 2012: Oporto police, Portugal, initiated a review of the original investigation.

June 2013: the Ministry of the Interior agrees to finance a large-scale investigation by the Metropolitan Police (Operation Grange).

October 2013: Portuguese detectives reopen the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine after an internal review.

October 2015: The official Twitter account associated with Madeleine’s official search was closed due to the abuse of other users.

April 2016: Theresa May, then British Secretary of State, gives Scotland Yard £ 95,000 in additional funds to continue the search.

March 2017: The Home Office grants Operation Grange another £ 85,000 to extend the search for another six months.

September 2018: the Ministry of the Interior confirms that Operation Grange will obtain continued funding, estimated at £ 300,000.

March 2019: Netflix launches its documentary series “The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann”, which becomes one of the most watched Netflix documentaries in the US. UU

June 2019: the Ministry of the Interior confirms that Operation Grange will receive a “level of funding” similar to last year, saying that the cost of Operation Grange to date is £ 11.75 million.

You might like

About the Author: Editor